Training for new foster parents
Since 2006, all future foster parents or adoptive parents must complete certain mandatory training provided by the Ministry of Community and Social Services (MCSS).
The PRIDE training (Parent Resources for Information, Development and Education) is among those mandatory training sessions. The Valor Institute provides this training on a regular basis in order to give future foster parents the opportunity to learn more about the challenges and the particular aspects of being a new foster parent. The PRIDE training is offered both in French and in English. The MCSS-certified trainers provide this training. It is offered jointly by a trainer and a foster parent to showcase the positive aspects of team work. Training is given through nine modules that are three hours long for a total of 27 hours.
Developmental training for foster parents:
- Resilience and different approaches based on their strengths
- Positive parental role and democratic style
- Seven developmental aspects evaluated under the LAC model
- Effects of positive expectations
- Youth's results, score and necessary follow-up evaluation